Coming

Coming
Rebel Heir

9/28/2017

Review: Strike Up the Band

Strike Up the Band Strike Up the Band by Sam Burns
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

“I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book”

So sad 😞 because I couldn’t give it more stars.
After Jake loses his twin sister the band they played in gets a replacement and Jake is not happy with this. Brian struggles as the new member of the band but will he ever get over his crush on Jake?

I didn’t particularly like or dislike this book it just didn’t engage me in any way. There was some sweet moments but for the most part I found myself mostly wanting to be finished reading. I didn’t see that coming because it sounded interesting in the blurb, but that’s my personal opinion. Others might think it’s great.

If I should point out something that could be the reason for my lack of engagement it must be the writing style that I found staccato and not flowing enough to have me disappear in to the story.

The characters are well described but I missed the feeling of getting to know them well. I like it when they feels like my own friends at the end of the book and that was not the case here.

There’s no unnecessary descriptions of surroundings and dialogues is plenty but I still felt like the dialogues was stilted.

One of the main things I missed was the lack of intensity in the feelings between Brian and Jake, but not being asexual myself I have no references to how a relationship can be for a person who is asexual. Also, I’m used to more “romance” in a romance book.

I’m sad to give this book only 3 stars from me because there is potential, but I don’t regret reading it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment